Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Common Household Product, a Threat to Our Society


Since the 80’s, abuse of the common household cleaning products and other products you would use for office or shop use has become more commonplace, especially amongst our youth. Products such as White-Out, paint thinner, spray paint, solvents, computer aerosol duster, felt tip markers, air freshener, butane, cooking spray, various types of glue, gasoline, deodorant spray, fabric protector spray, whipping cream aerosols, hair spray, and household cleaners are more likely to be abused by kids in the 12-17 year age range group because the ease of accessibility.

The high is achieved by inhaling the product through the nose or mouth. Some practice spraying the chemical into a paper sack or a rag and the inhaling it through their mouth referred to as huffing or bagging. Products such as White Out, markers, and various glues are sniffed. It has been shown that kids who start with household product abuse are more likely to try illicit drugs, such as meth, cocaine, and marijuana.

Sign that can indicate household product use to achieve a high in your child are glassy/glazed eyes, loss of appetite, chemical smells coming from their child’s breath or clothing, signs of paint or other products on the face or fingers, and missing household products. Your child will appear as if they are drunk. Effects achieved by abuse of household products are lightheadedness, dizziness, loss of inhibitions, excitation followed by drowsiness, slurred speech, euphoria, hallucinations, and delusions.

The high achieved by abusing household products is short lived resulting in the user to continue to use repeatedly in order to maintain the high. This can easily lead to loss of consciousness and even death. It is not uncommon for a youth to die from a single use of household product abuse or damage to the brain or kidney failure.

If you suspect your child is abusing household products, seek professional help immediately. It is highly dangerous and the risk of death is very high and very real.

If you need help or know of someone who does, please contact A Better Tomorrow today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

11 comments:

  1. I was totally shocked to hear about teen deaths caused by inhaling canned dust remover for the computer and other electronics. With teens and grandkids in my home all the time I have started locking up the more obvious items that fall into this category. I'm not so stupid as to think that it can never happen to one my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I was reading through the list of products I had to wonder what would make someone even think to try to abuse it. Are our kids so bored? Is it something we have failed to instill in them? I'm wondering all of the time what my kids might be exposed to, accidently or on purpose. It's a frightening thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like every day there is a 'new high' in the news. Quite often it's a product that has been around for a long time. How are parents supposed to keep on top of the drugs that are being abused? My children are still pre school age and I hate seeing them grow up. I dread them reaching school age and being exposed to the reality of drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took a good hard look through my house today at all of the products that could be used by my kids to get high. I've come to the conclusion that it would be easier to lock up my kids than to lock up every potentially dangerous product in my home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was a kid the only thing I knew about that kids used to get high was model airplane glue. Now, it seems like just about anything in an aerosol can gets abused. What the heck are these kids thinking of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is any aerosol can safe? Looking at the picture I noticed that one of the cans is an air freshener. Is the danger of it only because it is in a can? I also saw spray paint. What the heck can they do with that? I guess it could be the fumes themselves. I'm totally shocked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No one could possibly lock up all of the listed items. I have done a lot to educate myself on the signs to look for if you think there is abuse by someone. I think, at least for some things, you need to trust others judgements. I guess I try not to worry until someone shows me I have something to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Because of this article I've been reading the labels on all cleaning supplies and aerosol cans that I purchase. Just about every one of them has warnings of mis use on them. I don't know what to think, or say, or do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It makes me wonder if I shouldn't lock up all cleaning supplies and medicines. My kids are all 3 early teens. I know some of their friends get high, I've seen the signs when they were here. My kids tell me they don't use even though their friends are. I can only hope they keep being smart about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a friend who had a step daughter that used to hide baggies full of gas all over her room to sniff. Her daddy was a fireman too. The girl smoked so that could have been an ugly mess if there had been a fire. Thankfully she got the help she needed and has turned into a decent person.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've reached the point that if it only comes in an aerosal can, I don't need it. I've heard to many horror stories to even take a chance. I just saw a news clip about the computer canned air. The kid died the first time he used it.

    ReplyDelete