Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Addict Now, Addict Forever?


Addictions vary in severity. You don’t generally get addicted to a drug the first time you use it, although it is a possibility. Generally addiction is a process that occurs over many months and/or years of abuse. Some people are able to decrease the amount of the drug they are using and some may be able to stop all together. Others will be drug users until they die. Life time drug users don’t generally die of old age. Their lives are diminished in time and quality.

If the addiction is less severe, it might be considered a temporary disorder and the right treatment can help put your life back in order and you will be pretty much the person you were before the addiction. In more severe addictions, the disorder has more lasting effects. The goal for any addict is to stop the use of drugs. With more severe addictions there is a long history of use accompanied by many physical, emotional and social problems. There are situations where brain damage keeps the addict from being able to resist the impulse to use again. This often happens with alcoholics.

With all of that in mind, be assured that addiction can be treated and overcome. Do relapses happen? Of course they do, but it doesn’t have to accelerate to the level of addiction. Relapses create a feeling of dejection and that has a negative effect, and can actually push the person closer to the road back to addiction. The better approach is to examine the events surrounding the relapse and learn from the experience. If you can pinpoint the circumstances that pushed the person into the relapse, they may be able to avoid them in the future. There is strength to be gained from a relapse. Breaking the habit is not a cure, but a process, just as addiction was a process. Neither of them happens overnight. Breaking the habit also means there is a possibility of remission.

The biggest boost is not to lose hope. If you or someone you love is enslaved by an addiction, there is help available to you. Call A Better Tomorrow and get on the road to recovery.

If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

6 comments:

  1. It's good to know there is hope. I've seen many of my friends get caught up in the drug battle and not many of them have found their way back. It's a scary road to travel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was addicted to pain pills for several years. I've been able to kick the habit, but I know it could cause me problems in the future. I'm in control now, and I hope I can stay that way, but I don't kid myself into thinking I've been cured forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realize that there are a lot of people who were addicted to drugs or alcohol and have been able, with help, to clean themselves up. I also know that there are a lot who slip back to using. I always am thankful I never got caught up in the nightmare they live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wondered about this. I don't do drugs and never have so it's not something I would know. I guess it's like being an alcoholic. You admit the disease and tell how long you've been dry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know about other recovering addicts, but I'll consider myself an addict until the day I die. I hope never to be in that sad state again and acknowledging my past may help protect my future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello there, simply become alert to your weblog thru Google, and fosbobetund that it’s really informative. I’m gonna watch out for brussels

    ReplyDelete